Puliogare

This tamarind rice is a dish from the state of Karnataka. I made mine with the help of puliogare powder which had all the right spices. In addition I added a number of vegetables (a bit of everything that was left in the fridge); green zucchini, peas, cabbage and capsicum. 

To be precise, these were the contents 

Onion - 1 large

Garlic - 4 or 5 cloves

Green chili - 1

Zucchini, green - 1

Cabbage - 1/4 

Capsicum, green - 1

Peas, frozen - 100g

Olive oil - 2 tsp

Rock salt, crushed - 1/2 tsp

Brown rice - 1 cup

Water - 1 and 1/2 cup

Puliogare powder - 2 Tbsp

Chop onion into thin slices and mince chili and garlic. In a hot saucepan, add oil. When the oil warms up, add onion, garlic and chili. Stir until the onions become soft and then add the puliogare powder and salt. Saute for two minutes. Dice zucchini, cabbage and capsicum. Add all the vegetables and peas into the saucepan. Stir for a few minutes. Add brown rice and water, and keep it covered and cook on slow cook. Check in between to see if the rice has cooked and if the water has evaporated. Stir too. Once the rice is cooked, taste to check the salt. Add more if needed. Now its ready.  

Mark Rowlands book is about his wolf named Brenin. It reminded me of the dogs I had as pets. I had a dalmatian called Spot when I was a kid. I used to have him around me all the time (even making him my student when I played teacher..listening to me blabber), stopping short of sleeping on my bed. I loved taking him for walks when he would pull me along to all his interesting sniffing spots. I used to dress the poor thing in a tee shirt (telling my father that its winter and he will feel cold), brush his teeth (is there anything more wierd!). He played a significant part in my growing up phase. 

Comments