Chili bajji

When I saw some of the big green chilies in our local store, I was reminded of the crispy bajji's I have had when I was younger. Knowing that there was gram flour at home, I decided to buy the chilies. Since I cook on an induction stove with a shallow non-stick pan, I chopped the chilies into smaller pieces and used less oil. Traditionally, the chilies are dipped whole in the batter and deep fried. Bajjis can be made out of onion, banana, egg and potato too. You can have it with a dip of mint coriander chutney.(https://riyasspace.blogspot.com/2020/06/coriander-mint-chutney.html)


The Dala horse from the Dalarna province of Sweden is one of our souvenirs from there. It's carved and handcrafted from the wood of pine trees. It was originally made for barter trading and as toys.


For the bajji, you need :

Green chili - 10, large
Besan (chickpea flour) - 2 cups
Rice flour - 2 Tbsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Water - 3/4 cup
Olive oil - for brushing

Slit the green chilies. Remove the seeds with a spoon, otherwise your fingers will have a burning sensation. Slice chilies into small pieces.

In a bowl, combine besan, rice flour, salt and cumin seeds. Add water. Mix thoroughly until there are no lumps.

Heat a saucepan. Brush oil. 

Dip chili in batter. Place on pan. Cook for a few minutes. Flip. Cook until crisp on both sides.

Comments