Mung bean crepes

The South Indian crepes made from mung beans is originally from the state of Andhra Pradesh. In the local language, it is called pesarattu. I was motivated to try this green dosa when my aunts, Geetha and Sneha, told me that they were addicted to it of late. My initial attempts were a failure as I was pre-boiling the mung beans before the grind. I ended with something that tasted real good, but was too thin and loose to make a crepe out of.

So, the building blocks are..

Mung beans - 1 cup

Basmati rice - 2 Tbsps

Green chili - 1

Pearl onions - 5 or 6

Salt - 1/4 tsp

Celery - 1 stalk with leaves

Water - a splash

Olive oil, extra virgin - for frying the crepes

The process..

Soak mung beans and basmati rice overnight. Drain excess water. My mung beans sprouted. It's okay, even if doesn't.
Mince chili. Chop onions and celery. Add mung beans, rice, onions, chili, salt, celery and water into a blender and blitz until smooth.
Heat a flat bottomed wide saucepan, and brush oil. Add a spoon of the batter and spread it thin. Sprinkle oil on the corners of the flat batter and cook on high heat. When the underside becomes crisp, flip. When both sides are cooked, plate the crepe. 
Its delectable on its own, without any need for a side dish like chutney or pickle.

Comments